Join us on Monday, October 18th to discuss The Guest List by Lucy Foley. We will meet outdoors, weather permitting, at 6:30pm. In the event of poor weather we will discuss the book virtually via Zoom at 7pm. Contact Elizabeth for details.
In July, Fixed on Fiction met to discuss We Were Liars by E. Lockhart-
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist, and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.
-Summary courtesy of Goodreads.
We Were Liars received mixed reviews with FoF which made for a lively discussion! 7 members gave it a thumbs up, four so-so, and two thumbs down. Here are some of the comments readers made while discussing this title:
- I hate YA but this was so well-written. I guessed the twist so it wasn’t as suspenseful as I would have liked.
- I especially enjoyed the beginning. John Green style of writing.
- I did NOT guess the ending and I was surprised!
- I hate books about teenagers, but this was very riveting. Read it so fast. It was great.
- Read very fast. I loved the message of anti-materialism.
- Loved it. Had me hook, line, and sinker all the way through.
- I didn’t like the writing style at the beginning. The adults were so tragic. Sad that there wasn’t more as far as the big “reveal.”
- There wasn’t enough build up. No indication just how angry they were at their parents to do something so drastic.
- I didn’t like the fairy tales, the rich spoiled brats, etc.
- Loved the setting. I was also very interested in exploring the process of recovering from trauma.
- I liked the beginning but it was so-so for me. Enjoyed the lush descriptions of the setting and the food!
- Enjoyed the first ¾. The big event was totally unbelievable. That’s where it fractured for me.
- I liked the fairy tales! Loved the three word descriptions for the characters- I want to try that with all my friends.